Okay, so pretty much everybody loves to grow tomatoes, and even if some of us like the funky colors and shapes, I find that loads of gardeners keep asking me for ‘round red tomatoes’.
The main reason for growing these is because they taste good.
So, here goes with my top picks and note of why they are on my list…
- Old Virginia – Here in Virginia, or anywhere you have hot, humid summers, this one is the one grow.
- Old Brooks – it just tastes so darn good, with my preferred acid/sweet balance, a bit on the old fashioned acid side
- Thessaloniki – the dependable tomato for drought or dry conditions, amazingly so!
- Siletz – the only determinate on the list that I have grown for 30 years. Great for salsa.
- Carmelo (F1) – the only hybrid on the list because it performs so well and tastes so smooth and rich
Hope this inspires you to step out and try more varieties.