Post update: This process can be done any time of year ..
As the days grow shorter and cool down, fall is a great time to get outside. Save yourself some work next spring by preparing your current or future garden now with these easy steps:
- Chop old dying plants off at ground level, or mow very low, and chop up the above ground parts
- Put either cardboard or 4 sheets of newspaper down over your existing beds, or over an area you would like to make a garden next year.
- If it is a windy day, hose down the cardboard/paper so it does not blow away while you are working.
- Put the chopped up old plants on top of the cardboard/newspaper (or you can compost it)
- Top off with leaves racked from your yard and then a bit of hardwood mulch to hold it all in place and look tidy
You’ve just accomplished:
- Beginning to build healthy living soil that will grow great plants for you
- If the bed is current – provided weed suppression for next spring planting
- If the bed will be new next year – you have started eradicating grass or whatever is currently in the space so making the bed will be much easier next spring
Happy Gardening !